Friday 20 December 2013

Zombies... So hot right now...

Here is the digital sculpt I did way back in about 2009 for the Dead Rising 2 video game promo action figure. I had to sculpt the body type, then add all the articulation, as the turnaround time for the figure was very short...

I had to look at a few wobbly bums for reference here...
 Below you can see all the articulation that had to be put in for the figure. He needed 28 points of articulation, which all had to be tolerance, so a gap of 0.15 millimetres was required between every moving surface, so that when printed, tooled, cast and then eventually manufactured, there would be enough space between his joints to allow movement.
We then did a test print on a Thermojet wax printer to check that the scale was correct...




 Here is a quick paint job I did in Freeform, as I would have liked him to be painted, but this was purely for my own personal satisfaction, as a production paint job like this would have been way too expensive.

Okay, I gotta say, I think this bit is kinda cool, I'd never seen infection points on a zombie action figure before, so I quickly hit the net, found some images of tooth marks, took them into Photoshop, inverted the colours, and was then able to use them as alpha channels, images I could use in Freeform to apply physical textures onto the clay surface. So there we have it, the bite marks of the zombies that turned our friend here!
Here are pictures of the prototype we made, after getting the separate perfectory prints form Gary Miller at Industrial Plastics, who did a beautiful job of making our zombie real!





4 comments:

  1. Hello, my name is Sergey, please tell me in what 3d program you modeled it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sergey, this model was created in Freeform Modelling Plus, an excellent sculpting program! Thanks for your interest!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful work! Do you take commissions?
    I'd love to hear from you: Tiggercustoms@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. How did you learn to engineer the character into an action figure like that? I've search everywhere on the web and I cannot find any tutorials or anything on how to do it in Freeform Plus. Could you please give me some insight because I'm trying to pursue a career in making articulated action figures but it's hard when I don't even know where to begin with engineering in Freeform. My email is kjshunk95@gmail.com, please shoot me a email if possible. Thanks man!

    ReplyDelete